Monthly Archives: September 2009

The Trick in the Book: Fiction, Philosophy and Representation

This Wednesday, 30th September the Deakin Philosophical Society will meet in ib3.307 from 5-6pm, where Mitch Cunningham will present “The Trick in the Book: Fiction, Philosophy and Representation”. Here’s Mitch’s blurb: “What truth can we, the philosophically inclined, divine from … Continue reading

Posted in DPS notices | Leave a comment

Leo Strauss – The Mutual Influence of Theology and Philosophy

This Wednesday, 23rd September from 5-6:30pm in ib3.307 the Deakin Philosophical Society will meet to discuss an article by Leo Strauss entitled ‘The Mutual Influence of Theology and Philosophy’. The article deals with an issue that has repeatedly cropped up … Continue reading

Posted in DPS notices | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Kristian Schutz: The Gods of Stargate

The Deakin Philosophical Society will meet on Wednesday, 16th September from 5-6:30pm in ib3.307. Drawing on three short script excerpts from Stargate (the TV show), Kristian Schutz will discuss the rights of those that call themselves gods and the obligations … Continue reading

Posted in DPS notices | Leave a comment

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Wednesday, 9th September from 5-6:30pm in ib3.307. This week the Deakin Philosophical Society, continuing with the great books, will discuss two brief chapters from Dostoevsky’s Notes from Underground (VII and VIII of Part I – Underground, for those with the … Continue reading

Posted in DPS notices | Tagged , | 1 Comment

Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

Join the Deakin Philosophical Society on Wednesday, 2nd September from 5-6:30pm in ib3.307 to discuss Act I of Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett. Literature student Corrinna Waycott will introduce Act I and give an analysis of the tragicomedy. A … Continue reading

Posted in DPS notices | Tagged , | Leave a comment